- Installing Firefox and Thunderbird on a Raspberry Pi
- Installing Cinnamon on Debian 8.0 (Jessie)
- Installing Skype on Debian 8.0 (Jessie)
- Minimal GNOME 3 Install on Debian (jessie)
- Installing MATE on Raspbian/Debian 8.0 (jessie)
- Enable root logins using ssh in Debian 8.0 (Jessie)
- Raspberry Pi 3 Wireless Networking
- Remote Desktop using VNC
- Video Streaming using Netcat
- Installing Budgie Desktop on Debian 9.x (stretch)
- 295,200 hits
Bit of a blast from the past this one, but having upgraded the disks in my ancient AlphaServer I needed to reinstall Debian (lenny), and thought I’d take the opportunity to record which packages were required for a reasonably minimal installation of GNOME 2.
On my Raspberry Pi and my much older AlphaServer have configured the system to use the serial port as the console, as this means I can use them ‘headless’ without having to plug-in a screen or keyboard (very useful if you are on the move and only have a laptop).
I don’t actively dislike the GNOME 3 look and feel, but I don’t really like it either and until now have tended to use the MATE Desktop, but now there is a new kid on the block that I think I rather like.